Tuesday, June 14, 2011

There's a Whole World Out There

"Let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy.  Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you.  Surely, Lord, you bless the righteous; you surround them with your favor as with a shield."  Psalm 5:11-12

The number of new things my daughter has started doing over the past week is nothing short of astounding.  She has graduated from army-crawling to actual crawling.  She consistently waves when prompted.  She can feed herself with her fingers.  And she can pull herself up to standing.  All of this within one week!  It's difficult to keep up with her new accomplishments!

One time tonight, she pulled herself up to stand using her Bumbo chair.  I took her hands, and she immediately started taking steps towards me.  It's amazing that she knows just what to do, and I don't think it's going to be long before she gains enough balance to start walking along the furniture, and then start walking on her own.  She is ready to go, and as soon as she realizes that those things are going to open up a whole new world for her, she'll get the hang of them in no time.

What opens up new worlds for us?  I know a lot of people think that believing in God and obeying His principles limits human beings, but I think it's just the opposite.  I think it gives a person tremendous freedom.  Simply trusting in God vastly opens up the number of viable options or paths to take in life, just knowing that He can be counted on (keeping in mind, of course, my last post about God not existing to fix our mistakes).

I also firmly believe that the principles He sets are largely there for our own protection, be it emotional, physical, or spiritual.  And even if one does look at them as limitations, I am always reminded of the idea of boundaries.  We need them because without them, we feel unsafe.  At least I do.  I like to feel protected, sheltered, cared for.  I know that when I start testing those limits, I start to feel out of control.  Scared.  Like I want someone to come along and reign me in.  My world expands when I feel that cushion of protection.  It's ironic, isn't ?

Even though I know she's going to go a mile a minute when she starts walking, I can't wait to see my daughter's world expand, right now, and five, ten, fifteen years from now.  I'm sure God enjoys watching us discover as much as I've enjoyed watching her.

No comments:

Post a Comment